- Amethyst was once revered as the "jewel of the gods”.
- Amethyst is the official gemstone of the province of Ontario.
- Amethyst is the birthstone for the month of February, and the official gem for Wednesday, Jupiter and those born under the sign of Pisces.
- Amethyst rings are traditionally worn by Bishops and some people believe that amethyst brings good luck to petitioners.
- Amethyst has been used to symbolize deep love, happiness, humility, sincerity and wealth.
- Long ago, farmers believed wearing amethyst would protect their crops from hailstones and locusts.
- The Hebrew word for amethyst is "ahlamah” which means "dream”; thus, the stone was supposed to cause lovely dreams and visions… and if you dream of amethyst you will be free from harm.
- Amethyst was the emblem for Matthew, one of the twelve apostles.
- Leonardo da Vinci believed amethyst had the power to control evil thoughts, to quicken intelligence, and to make men shrewd in business matters.